Fonds glen-3362 - Society for the Preservation & Restoration of St. Mary's School (1909) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Society for the Preservation & Restoration of St. Mary's School (1909) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.

Level of description


Reference code

GLEN glen-3362

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Physical description area

Physical description

1.5 m of textual records. -- 6 cm of photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Friends of Old St. Mary's was formed in Calgary, Alberta in 1998 in response to the threatened demolition of an historic building, the former St. Mary's Girls' School, by the Calgary Roman Catholic Separate School District. The participants included alumnae of the school, heritage conservation advocates, and residents of the Cliff Bungalow and Mission communities. Ken LaPointe, a Mission resident, eventually assumed a leadership role. In 1999 the group incorporated as the Society for the Preservation and Restoration of St. Mary's School (1909) in order to receive charitable donations and possibly restore and manage the building as a not-for-profit enterprise. In spite of appeals to the School Board, the City of Calgary, and the government of Alberta, the school was demolished in 2002. Another school, Our Lady of Lourdes, was built on the site and opened in 2005.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of minutes, correspondence, media clippings, presentation materials, reports, applications for research grants, and photographs.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Gift of the Society for the Preservation & Restoration of St. Mary's School, 2006.


Language of material

  • The material is in English.

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

No finding aid.

Associated materials

Related materials


General note

Record No. M 9074<br><br>

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area