Title and statement of responsibility area
Society for the Preservation & Restoration of St. Mary's School (1909) fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
1.5 m of textual records. -- 6 cm of photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Friends of Old St. Mary's was formed in Calgary, Alberta in 1998 in response to the threatened demolition of an historic building, the former St. Mary's Girls' School, by the Calgary Roman Catholic Separate School District. The participants included alumnae of the school, heritage conservation advocates, and residents of the Cliff Bungalow and Mission communities. Ken LaPointe, a Mission resident, eventually assumed a leadership role. In 1999 the group incorporated as the Society for the Preservation and Restoration of St. Mary's School (1909) in order to receive charitable donations and possibly restore and manage the building as a not-for-profit enterprise. In spite of appeals to the School Board, the City of Calgary, and the government of Alberta, the school was demolished in 2002. Another school, Our Lady of Lourdes, was built on the site and opened in 2005.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of minutes, correspondence, media clippings, presentation materials, reports, applications for research grants, and photographs.
Immediate source of acquisition
Gift of the Society for the Preservation & Restoration of St. Mary's School, 2006.
Language of material
- The material is in English.
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
No finding aid.
Record No. M 9074<br><br>