Society for the Preservation and Restoration of St. Mary's School (1909)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Society for the Preservation and Restoration of St. Mary's School (1909)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The Friends of Old St. Mary's was formed in Calgary, Alberta in 1998 in response to the threatened demolition of an historic building, the former St. Mary's Girls' School, by the Calgary Roman Catholic Separate School District. The participants included alumnae of the school, heritage conservation advocates, and residents of the Cliff Bungalow and Mission communities. Ken LaPointe, a Mission resident, eventually assumed a leadership role. In 1999 the group incorporated as the Society for the Preservation and Restoration of St. Mary's School (1909) in order to receive charitable donations and possibly restore and manage the building as a not-for-profit enterprise. In spite of appeals to the School Board, the City of Calgary, and the government of Alberta, the school was demolished in 2002. Another school, Our Lady of Lourdes, was built on the site and opened in 2005.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

glen

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places