Title and statement of responsibility area
Farmers Union of Alberta Milo-Queenstown Local #1226
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Milo-Queenstown Farmers Union of Alberta Local #1226
Physical description area
7 cm of textual records. -- 1 object.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Farmers’ Union of Alberta (FUA) was established on January 14, 1949 when the United Farmers of Alberta and the Alberta Farmers’ Union amalgamated. Milo Farmers Union of Alberta Local #1226 had 36 members in October of that year.
While primarily concerned with agricultural issues, like its predecessor, the Milo FUA was involved with a range of community projects, including rural electrification and the construction of a park at Lake McGregor. Meetings were usually held in the homes of individual members, though sometimes in community buildings like the Milo Municipal Office or the Odd Fellows Hall. Following an “Urgent General Meeting in November 1954, the local became a “Milo-Queenstown combination”, and meetings alternated between the two communities.
The combined local participated in the annual Lake McGregor Race Meet; arranged for the bulk purchase of goods ranging from salt to frozen fruit; gave regular support to Farm Young People’s Week, and later, Gold Eye Lake Camp; held joint programs and meetings with the Milo-Queenstown Farm Women’s Union of Alberta; and oversaw two major initiatives for its members, the construction of a seed cleaning plant in Queenstown, and a medical services insurance group that was arranged through Blue Cross in 1963. Politically, they petitioned various levels of government about such issues as the wheat and hog marketing boards, the expansion of various farming communities in the area, and road construction and upgrading.
In 1970, the Farmer’s Union of Alberta amalgamated with the Alberta Federation of Agriculture. The Farmers' Union of Alberta amalgamated with the Alberta Federation of Agriculture to become Unifarm,
and Milo-Queenstown Farmers Union of Alberta Local #1226 became Unifarm Milo Queenstown Local #124-126.
Scope and content
The series consists of minutes, correspondence, membership and financial information relating to Milo-Queenstown Farmers Union of Alberta Local #1226, District #12, Subdistrict #4.
The series has been divided into the following subseries: Minutes, which includes minutes and correspondence; Membership, which includes membership lists and slips, a Dividend ledger, Blue Cross medical insurance information and a Life Member Certificate for Mr & Mrs LH Ivers; District #12, which includes correspondence, a 1963 Convention programme, a map and a guest book.
Three pages of the Dividend ledger include notes and financial information that post-dates the FUA / Alberta Federation of Agriculture amalgamation.
Immediate source of acquisition
L.H. Ivers Membership Certificate; gift of Sue Ivers
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Member and attendance lists; Financial item lists; Dates of meeting minutes;Correspondence item list