Title and statement of responsibility area
Milo Curling Club fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: title from content of fonds
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1951-1955, 1968-1971, 1996-1999 (Creation)
- Milo Curling Club
Physical description area
8 cm textual records. –3 black & white photographs; 1 colour photograph.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The first Milo Curling Rink was built in 1949. Gene Jones was the chairman of the Mio Ice Association, which oversaw both the curling and skating rinks. Funds were raised through donation, auctions, ice carnivals, dances and bake sales, and lumber was hauled from Swallwell, Alberta, about 145km north. Additional building materials were salvaged from the site of Prisoner of War Camp 133 in Lethbridge, and from the old Vulcan airport.
The rink had 3 sheets of natural ice, and at first, all the water was hauled from the lake. 45-gallon drums were lined up along the sides of the rinks and all tipped over at the same time to flood the ice, with the hope that it would freeze level. A large cistern, 10’x16’, was soon dug in front of the rink, and an addition over top of it provided space for a kitchen, coal bin, and small eating area. In 1958, artificial ice was installed on the two sheets that were designated for curling, with the west rink flooded for skating.
By 1968, a rotting roof and frustration over the cold temperature of the original cinder block construction led to a decision to erect a new building. Under the guidance of the Building Committee, (David Deitz, Marj Marks, Bea Thomson, Con Peterson, Irvine Sukut, Tooke Beckner and Colin Campbell) a series of major fundraising events took place, including a community auction, Grey Cup pool, a draw for a gold wafer, and a 34-mile “walk-for-rink” walk-a-thon, to and from the Corner Store at the junction of Highways 23 & 24. Area residents also contributed donations of cash and grain averaging $250, and volunteer labour helped to lay the cement and do the interior finishing. Contracted through the United Farmers of Alberta Co-Op, the new rink was built on the west side of the original structure, opening in January 1969 with a mixed bonspiel, supper and dance.
In the spring of 1996 a committee consisting of Doug Bushell, Lloyd Deitz, Dale Deitz, Joanne Monner and Mike Hingley was formed to look into the possibility of upgrading the facility, and a membership survey indicated (86%) support for the project. The following year the Curling Club received a large grant from the Alberta government’s Community Facility Enhancement Program and intensive fundraising, along with substantial volunteer labour and equipment, enabled an expansion and the addition of two viewing areas. The grand opening of the upgraded facility was held in November 1998.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of minutes, log books, correspondence, and financial and fundraising material relating to the Milo Curling Club, as well as four photographs.
The fonds has been arranged into the following series: 1968 Building Project -- Correspondence & Photos; 1968 Building Project -- Financial; 1996 Rebuilding -- Working Binder; Minutes and Logs.
Immediate source of acquisition
Milo Curling Club
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
no restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Photograph identification available
Further accruals expected though not scheduled
Some information for the Admin History from Snake Valley II: a history of Lake McGregor and area, published by Milo and District Historical Society, and from the Welcome speech for facility opening, 1998.