Title and statement of responsibility area
Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society Metis photograph collection
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the collection.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
30 photographs : b&w prints
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Jasper Historical Society was formed in 1963 by a group of interested members that included Fred Brewster, Constance Peterson as the first historian and Mel Taylor as the first president. The Society was later named the Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society (JYHS). The Society was incorporated in 1977. Monthly meetings included guest speakers, films, field trips relating to local and national history. The objectives of the Society are to encourage the study of the history of Alberta in general and Jasper in particular; and to locate, preserve and mark the local points of historical interest. The first archives and Society office was established in the Municipal Library in 1974. Planning for a permanent Museum and Archives began in 1978; in 1985 a partially completed building on Pyramid Lake Road was purchased and renovated. The Archives moved into the lower floor in 1990; the Museum opened on the upper floor in 1992. The Jasper Yellowhead Museum and Archives reports to the Board of Directors of the Society.
In the early 1960s the Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society began collecting photographs on various subjects pertaining to Jasper's history. These photographs relating to the Metis people who once lived in Jasper National Park were gathered from various sources to form this collection.
Scope and content
This collection consists of photographs of the people that lived in Jasper area when the park was formed. They relocated to Grande Cache. This collection consists mostly of photographs taken during their visit to Jasper (1972) including views at the Palisades Centre (formerly the Lewis Swift homestead), the Ewan Moberly Homestead, Suzanne Cardinals Grave and the Jasper Airfield. Members of this group included; Mrs. Adam Joachim (nee Caroline McDonald), Freida Joachim, Albert Norris, Joe McDonald and others. The collection also consists of photographs of: Adam Joachim on a Hunting Trip (1935); a log cabin, location unknown; Mr. and Mrs. John Moberly and sons, Dave and Frank in an automobile ; John & Mary Gregg and Mr. & Mrs. John Moberly ; Ewan Moberly Family in Grande Cache ; and Frank Seabolt, Jack Gregg and Dolfuss Norris .
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
- The material is in English
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level description is available.
Several Metis families were living in the Jasper National Park area when the park was formed. In 1910 they were relocated outside of the park. Many of the people moved to the area around Grande Cache.<br><br>Record No. ID127<br><br>