Fonds 0448 - Eaglesham Board of Trade fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Eaglesham Board of Trade fonds

General material designation

  • Moving images

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA GPR 0448

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • [ca. 1960] (Creation)
    Creator
    Eaglesham Board of Trade

Physical description area

Physical description

1 film reel.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(unknown)

Administrative history

The Eaglesham Board of Trade (also known as the Chamber of Commerce) was an informal group of concerned businessmen in Eaglesham most active during the 1950s and 1960s. As the Agricultural Society became more active and had overlapping responsibilities with the Board of Trade, the Board of Trade virtually disappeared by the late 1960s. One of the key projects of the Board of Trade was a community filming/documentation project conducted around 1960. The three men most associated with this project were Joe McDaid, George Meunier, and Tom Lessard. Joe McDaid was Eaglesham's first postmaster, serving as such for 32 years. He also had a small grocery store at one time. George Meunier was manager of the Co-op store from 1946-1949 and in 1951 he opened his own store, George's Lumber and Hardware. He also operated a Cockshutt dealership and took over the Imperial in 1954. He dabbled in real estate after his retirement in 1962. Tom Lessard was a "jack of all trades". He was a part-time electrician, had the first light plant in Eaglesham, was a meter man for a few years after the town purchased the plant, and operated an auto repair shop. Tom Lessard was also Eaglesham's first mayor.

Custodial history

Records were given to Morris Burroughs by Anne Donaldson and deposited in the Archives in 2000. The film was originally taken by members of the Eaglesham community for the local Board of Trade/Chamber of Commerce. It is one of a set of several films now lost.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of a reel of 16 mm silent film taken in the Eaglesham area and on the Lassiter Project.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The fonds consists of a reel of 16 mm silent film taken in the Eaglesham area and on the Lassiter Project.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

The film has been digitized.

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

Alpha-numeric designations

Accession number: 2000.42

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

0448

Institution identifier

South Peace Regional Archives

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Partial

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres