Fonds edm-1808 - City of Edmonton. Fire Department fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

City of Edmonton. Fire Department fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

City of Edmonton. Emergency Response Department fonds

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA EDM edm-1808

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1907-1996 (Creation)
    Creator
    City of Edmonton. Fire Department

Physical description area

Physical description

18 m of textual records. -- 301 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Edmonton's Fire Department began in 1892 with the creation of a volunteer fire brigade. A year later, Edmonton's first fire hall was opened. The volunteer corps continued until a paid system was organized in 1906 with R. G. Davidson as Fire Chief. The Fire Department also provided emergency services and an ambulance was donated to the department in 1908. In 1912, due to the amalgamations of Edmonton and Strathcona, the Edmonton and Strathcona Fire Departments were combined. In 1917, the firefighters organized a union. Until 1921 the department used horse drawn apparatus to fight fires. In 1964, the Jasper Place Fire Department was amalgamated into the Edmonton Department. In 1994, the name of the department was changed to the Emergency Response Department but the functions of the department remained essentially the same.

Name of creator

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of materials created by the City of Edmonton's Fire Department and its successor, the Emergency Response Department between 1907 and 1996. The fonds consists of correspondence, scrapbooks, ledgers, photographs, personnel files, records of alarms and other materials.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Transferred from the City of Edmonton Fire Department and Emergency Services Department between 1961 and 2001.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • The material is in English.

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Some of the materials are restricted. Contact reference archivist for further details.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Inventory available

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Record No. RG 70<br><br>

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area