Title and statement of responsibility area
Calgary Prophetic Bible Institute fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
[ca. 1926] - 1945 (Creation)
- Calgary Prophetic Bible Institute
Physical description area
0.07 m of textual records -- 4 photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
William Aberhart began a bible study group in Calgary in 1918. When the group grew large enough, the group rented and held meetings in the Palace Theatre in Calgary. In 1925, William Aberhart began broadcasting Sunday afternoon lectures that he delivered to the group on the radio on a program called "Back to the Bible Hour". The lectures drew listeners from across the Canadian prairies and the adjacent U.S. states. In 1927, the group established themselves as the Calgary Prophetic Bible Institute and installed themselves in new building, with William Aberhart serving as the first Dean. The Institute served as a centre of worship and biblical studies, and also continued to produce Aberhart's radio broadcasts. In 1948, a member, Cyril Hutchinson, left the Institute and most of the students followed him to found the Berean Bible College (later Foothills Christian College). By 1951, the Institute had closed.
In 1969, T.R. McCloy, Librarian of the Glenbow Museum and Archives, donated the material to the Provincial Archives of Alberta. The provenance of the material prior to donation is unknown.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of materials documenting the activities of the Alberta Prophetic Bible Institute circa 1926 to 1945 and includes bulletins, pamphlets, lectures, bylaws, platforms, brochures, pamphlets related to Social Credit theory; and photographs of Ernest Manning speaking at the Institute.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
- The material is in English.
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access. Permission for use required. Subject to the Copyright Act.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
No inventory/file list available.
Please see the Calgary Prophetic Bible Institute fonds at the Glenbow Museum and Archives and the William Aberhart fonds at the University of Calgary Archives. Please see the William Aberhart fonds and the Alberta Social Credit Party fonds at the Provincial Archives of Alberta.
Further accruals are not expected.
Information for the administrative history/biographical sketch sourced from the Calgary Prophetic Bible Institute fonds description at the Glenbow Museum and Archives and the William Aberhart fonds description at the University of Calgary Archives.<br><br>Record No. The fonds consists of the following accession: PR1969.0230<br><br>
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
- Calgary Prophetic Bible Institute (Subject)