Collection ath-2136 - Athabasca Archives Photograph collection

Stopping place, six mile Pt. Athabasca River A Homestead on Lesser Slave River Whitefish from Lesser Slave Lake A farmyard Athabasca Landing, 1905

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Athabasca Archives Photograph collection

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.

Level of description



Reference code

CA ATH ath-2136

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


Physical description area

Physical description

60 photographs.
250 digital images

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

In 1946, Eric Hodgson held a meeting of representatives of different community organizations to discuss establishing a library in Athabasca. A committee was struck and met in June 1946 to nominate a library board. The library was known as the Athabasca and District Public Library from 1946 to 1966, the Athabasca Municipal Library from 1966 to 1980, and the Athabasca Municipal Library and Archives from 1980 until it adopted its current name in 1988. The library was located in the Town Hall, the Community Centre, and the former Provincial Building until it moved to the Brick School Complex in 1979. The archival program began as early as 1957 when the library stored historic documents until a historical society could be formed. In 1979 a separate room was designated, and volunteers organized and solicited material for a history book published in 1986. The first part-time archivist was hired in 1988.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The collection consists of photographs of the RCMP boat "Athabasca" based in Ganges, B.C. Six Mile Stopping Place on the Athabasca River; SS Northland Echo; loading scows; aerial view of Athabasca [1970s]; newspaper photographs of James Harris Wood, William Rennison, Isaie Gagnon, Louis Fosseneuve, and Hon. Justice R. Boyle; men at a tie camp (Paul Berkey, Mr. Koster, Mr. Jameson, Eugene Sale, Ole Strome, Joe Laflamme); 1937-38 Athabasca Boy Scout troop (Ralph Noddings, Bill Calder, Ken Cocke, John Birks, Allen Fell, Fred Meadows, Bob Garton, Frank Falconer, Dale Nelson, Jim Service, Budge Jones, Frank Bergeron, Verne Lewis, -- Webb, Alec Bergeron, Donald King, Reg Bayliss); Half Moon Lake School, 1936 (Josie Kunbah, Josie Kordyban, Alexandra Smerychinski, Marian Kowalski, Katie Kordyban, Maria Kordyban, Rosy Dowhaniuk, Stephanie Kushak, Olga Komarniski, Antonnette Komarniski, Maggie Shapka, Annie Kushak, Helen Zayezierski, Josie Gerla); Revillon Brothers Store, farm implement-reaper and horses, Terence John Shank, Elmer Norman Shank, Demonstration Farm barns and house (Experimental Farm barns), Leon Soudet farm, view of Athabasca from Century Villa condominiums dated Sept. 28, 1996; 1985 Tourist Information Booth volunteers (Hazel Rein, Pearl Baker, May Webb, Steve Wasel, Joe Bortnick, Alice Donahue, Charlie Senz, Dot Evans, Laura Green, and Muriel Senz); Chris and Lyandra Elkjer; the Athabasca train station in Nov. 1912, team driver is James A. Minns who was killed during WWI. Four postcards have been added which include an aerial photo of the town, a view from the bridge of the town lights, a painting by Larry Zornes and local citizens forming the number 99 in 2010 as they look forward to the 100th anniversary in 2011. There are two postcards published by the Northern Transportation Company :whitefish from Lesser Slave Lake and a homestead on Lesser Slave Lake, a ferry at Athabasca Landing, and two photos of William and Wilhelmina (Becker) Koerner. Perryvale Central School 1947 - 49. Dog team below the bridge. View of Athabasca from the east, 1990. 95.24: Six photographs donated by Doug Kariel of the historic mail run from Athabasca to Edmonton in February, 1995 to commemorate Edmonton's Bicentennial in 1995; photos #13633-13638. 96.42: Two postcards donated by Keith Randon, Leicestershire, Eng. of Athabasca Victoria Day celebrations, May 25, 1914, of the Athabasca Town Band and a larger view of the celebrations on Litchfield Street (50th Avenue) including the new Grand Union Hotel; photo s #14183 and 14184. Photos 18664 and 18665 donated by Jody Howells which show her father and uncle threshing in Saskatchewan c.1910; 21.07, Ted Langton-Adams slides # 20496–20622; 21-11, Athabasca fire at old Home Hardware building August 11, 2021, images # 20623–20678. 13.27: Two binders of photographs of the Grosmont Community Club Garden Walk, 1998 and 2005; the images are not numbered.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Photo #670 donated by Bob Tannas; photo# 495 donated by Bob Berkey; photo#14158 donated by Ora Lang; photo #19715 donated by Larry Armfelt; photo # 19717 donated by Teresa Keith; 21.07 donated by Eri Faulks; 21.11 donated by various people on scene of the fire.


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials


General note

Photo# 17958 is titled "new station at Athabasca" with the name Voldeng & Bolton, 255 Jasper [Avenue, Edmonton] written in the right hand corner of the photo.<br><br>Record No. 85.336 (photo# 387), 85.337 (photo# 388), 85.343 (photo# 422), 85.351 (photo# 488-492), 85.354 (photo# 495), 85.364 (photo# 500-555), 85.377 (photo# 657), 85.382 (photo# 662, 663), 85.386 (photo# 668, 669), 85.387 (photo# 670), 86.85 (photo# 1794, 1795, 1797-1806); 86.82 (photo # 1784, 1785); 86.87(photo# 1808); 86.106 (photos# 2112-2116); 96.15 (photo # 13730 - 13733 and 13727 - 13729 [are included in their cassette fonds]); 97.27 (photo# 14158), 10.34 (photo# 17956); 10.36 (photo# 17958); 10.51 (photo# 17982); 11.34 (photos# 18072-18075); 17.03 (photo # 19182 - 19183); 17.16 # (19734) donated by Maria Wallach; 18.19 (#19644-19655) donated by Janet Kremer-Kerr; 19.10 (#19656-19661) donated by Linda Doroshenko; 19.12 (19709-19714). 19.13 (19715 - 19717); #19715 donated by Larry Armfelt. #19717 donated by Theresa Keith; 19.14 (#19735-19780) donated by Cecil Lewis; 21.11 images were donated from locals after a request soliciting images of the fire via Facebook. There are also videos of the fire in 21.11.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Level of detail

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres