Showing 20760 results

Authority record

Zwintscher, Reinhold

  • paa
  • Person

Reinhold Zwintscher was called to be a traveling missionary in Manitoba in 1899 and also served Assiniboia in Saskatchewan, but spent a great deal of time in Immanuel, Winnipeg. He served the nearby congregation at Neudorf during a vacancy in 1899 as well. During his time at Immanuel he oversaw the growth of the congregation, the building of a new church and school and the achievement of self -supporting status by 1905. Zwintscher also assisted in the formation of a second Missouri Synod congregation in Winnipeg in 1904 called Holy Cross, and congregations at Winkler in 1901, at Tupper (Plumas) in 1903, and Poplar Point, Niverville, Plum Coulee and Portage la Prairie, Manitoba in subsequent years. His missions experienced aggressive competition for the German Lutherans from the Ohio Synod, especially in Winnipeg after 1905 and the Missouri Synod lost many congregants. Zwintscher accepted a call to the United States in 1910.

Zuidema, Lilian

  • glen
  • Person

Lilian Zuidema, 1918-2011, lived much of her life in Calgary, Alberta and was active in Chevra Kadisha (Jewish burial society).

Zubkowski, Robert F.

  • ppcli
  • Person
  • 1953-

Robert F. “Bob” Zubkowski was born in Vermilion, Alberta in 1953. He enlisted with the Canadian Armed Forces in November 1974 and was a member of the 1st Battalion, Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry (1PPCLI) from February 1975 until the end of his military career. He attended the PPCLI Battle School and was named Top Recruit. While with 1PPCLI he completed his secondary school education and acquired an occupational health and safety certificate and a museum studies certificate. He was placed in an accelerated non-commissioned officer program and received the Brigade Commander’s letter of commendation. He served with UN peacekeeping tours of Cyprus in 1978 and 1984. He was curator and archivist of the PPCLI Museum and Archives from 1989 to 1991, and was drum major of the 1st Battalion Corps of Drums. He retired from the Armed Forces in 1993 with the rank of sergeant, but remained active in the PPCLI family as a volunteer. He served as president of the Calgary Chapter of the PPCLI Association and Vice-President (West) of the Association. He is the compiler of As Long as Faith and Freedom Lasts, a compilation of reminiscences of World War I veterans; and is co-compiler (with Stephen K. Newman) of Patricia’s Buried in Flanders & Belgium. He leads a civilian drum corps, Black Thunder Inc.; operates a small business, Collector Motor Oil Ltd.; and works as an occupational health and safety consultant. He was married to Helena Zubkowski, and they had three sons, Christopher Peter, Daniel Robert, and Jason Paul.

Zubick, Jack J.

  • glen
  • Person

John J. Zubick, 1897-1972, was born in Siberia, Russia of German descent. He came to the USA as a child and moved to western Canada in 1910. During the First World War he served with the 5th Canadian Battalion and on his return taught school in Saskatchewan. For eight years he edited a Saskatchewan weekly newspaper. He moved to Calgary, Alberta in 1933 and became business manager of the Calgary Artificial Limb Company. He was strongly opposed to the Social Credit Party and undertook a personal campaign of speeches and radio broadcasts to discredit the party. He also published the anti-Social Credit newspaper, The Rebel, from 1937 to 1939. During the Second World War he served with the British Army as press chief in Germany and rose to the rank of major. In the 1950s he worked as an insurance underwriter and was very active in the Conservative Party. He retired to Victoria ca. 1963.

Zorn, Frank

  • med
  • Person

Frank Joseph Zorn was born in Castleton, North Dakota. He then moved to Winnifred, Alberta in 1909, presumably with his family, where he was raised and educated. On January 30, 1931, Frank married Beulah (nee Popel-Patterson) in Medicine Hat, and continued to farm at Winnifred. At the same time, he operated "Frank's Radio and T.V." in Bow Island from 1955 until 1976. Frank had been a HAM radio operator since 1924, and had received his pilot's license in 1929. At the time of the opening of the Bow Island airport, he was publicly recognized as the oldest active licensed pilot in Southern Alberta. During World War II, Frank was well-known among R.C.A.F. radar personnel. Frank and Beulah had five children, Ernest K., Ethel (Mrs. George Begg), Hazel (Mrs. M. Drader), Grace, (Mrs. C. Drafer), and Janet (Mrs. R. Clarke). Mr. Zorn was a member of the Lion's Club. Beulah passed away July 3, 1969, and Frank passed away in Bow Island on December 21, 1978, at the age of 76.

Zonta Club of Edmonton

  • paa
  • Corporate body

The Zonta Club of Edmonton organized in 1953, and received its charter in 1954 from parent organization, Zonta International. Zonta International, a club for business and professional women, was founded in Buffalo, New York in 1919. The club sought to improve the status of woman, and encourage ethical standards of business through donating time and money to various civic and social causes. The Zonta Club of Edmonton formed part of Zonta International District VIII. The club based its membership on classification by business or profession. The club also required any member of its executive to work at least 50% of the time. The Zonta Club of Edmonton is now dissolved.

Zion United Church (Beiseker)

  • PR3580
  • Corporate body
  • 1916-1995

Zion United Church had its origins in two different congregations in the Beiseker area of Alberta, the Zion Congregational Church and the Beiseker United Church.

Beiseker United Church began ca. 1915, with the congregation being served by United Church ministers from the Acme Pastoral Charge. Early services were held at Beiseker in a building converted from a livery barn to a community hall ca. 1922. In 1925, services moved to a former school which had become a private dwelling before being renovated for use as a church. From 1927-1938 only bible study was held. Beiseker United Church amalgamated with Zion United Church in 1949 and the church building was sold and converted into a doctor’s office.

Zion Congregational Church was founded in the Beiseker area of Alberta in 1909. The congregation was officially organized as a Congregational Church on Jan. 4, 1914. Construction of the church was started in 1918 on two acres of land donated by Peter M. Berreth on SE ¼ 16-28-25-W4. The church building was dedicated on July 14, 1918. The building was enlarged and renovated in 1928.

The Zion Congregational Church amalgamated with the United Church of Canada in 1947, becoming part of the Carbon Pastoral Charge. In 1949, the church was moved from its original site into the town of Beiseker and the congregation amalgamated with Beiseker United Church taking the name Zion United Church. The original church site continued to be used as a cemetery. On July 1, 1950, Zion United Church became part of the Acme Pastoral Charge. Zion United Church amalgamated with Acme United Church in 1998.

Zion Lutheran School and Kindergarten (Cloverdale, BC)

  • luth
  • Corporate body

In 1958 the Rev. L. H. Gierach started the third Lutheran Christian Day School in Canada in Cloverdale, BC. A building was constructed for the school in 1958 and dedicated in 1959. There were nineteen children in four grades and Miss Marj Guebert was their first teacher. By 1961 numbers were sufficiently large enough to add an intermediate class taught by a second teacher and two years later grade 7 was added. Finally in 1968 a kindergarten class was added. The school became part of the Lutheran Church-Canada though its association with the Zion Lutheran Church congregation in 1988.

Zion Lutheran Church (Worsley, Alberta)

  • luth
  • Corporate body

The Ladies Aid of Zion Lutheran Church was formed around 1953. The congregation was served from Fairview- Hines Creek as part of the parish. No further administrative history is available.

Results 1 to 10 of 20760