Showing 23584 results

Authority record

Toews, William

  • ATH
  • Person
  • unknown-1987

William Toews of Grande Prairie, AB worked on the construction of St. Gabriel's Roman Catholic Church in Athabasca. The church burned in April, 1953. It reopened by Easter, 1954. The official reopening took place in 1956.

Marion (Lewis) Ward

  • ATH
  • Person
  • 1898-1984

Marion Lewis, 1898-1984, was one of four children born to Thomas and Elizabeth (Oliver) Lewis. Thomas built a stopping house on the Athabasca Landing Trail in 1907. The Lewis' managed the stopping house until the railway reached Athabasca Landing in 1912. Marion married Percy Ward in 1925. Percy, 1895-1985, was one of two sons born to Charles and Charlotte Ward who settled in Lewiston, later named Perryvale, AB. Percy and Marion Ward raised eight children.

Percy Ward

  • ATH
  • Person
  • 1895-1985

Percy Ward was one of two sons born to Charles and Charlotte Ward who settled in Lewiston, later renamed Perryvale, AB. Marion Lewis married Percy Ward in 1925.

Violet (Wilson) Rein

  • ATH
  • Person
  • 1917

Violet Wilson, born in 1917, and her brother, Frank, were foster children raised by Henry and Mabel Benham of Perryvale, AB. Violet married Fred Rein in 1938. They farmed in the Perryvale area on his parent's homestead. They raised five children. Fred died in 1974. Violet died in 2015.

The Vagina Monologues Athabasca

  • ATH 18.04
  • February 25, 2017.

The Vagina Monologues, by Eve Ensler, was produced by a group of locals for the benefit of PRAAC, (Prevention of Relationship Abuse Action Committee) from the official script for the 2017 V-Day Campaigns. Twenty-two actors were involved and rehearsals were held at the NCoR train station in Athabasca started in January, 2017. The show was performed on Feburary 25, 2017 at 7:30 pm at the Nancy Appleby Theatre in Athabasca,

Town of Athabasca

  • ATH 19.03
  • Corporate body
  • 1911 to present

In the spring of 1874, in support of the fur trade, a Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) scout surveyed the terrain between Fort Edmonton and the elbow of the Athabasca River to assess an alternative route to Lesser Slave Lake. Chief Factor Richard Hardisty reported the results of this preliminary survey to his superior, Donald Smith at Fort Garry, indicating that a passable road could be made. It was completed by 1877 and the Athabasca Landing Trail became the main route to the Peace Country. In 1877, the HBC built a log storage shed which doubled as a temporary dwelling and the elbow became known as Athabasca Landing. In 1882, steamboat captain Louisson Fosseneuve demonstrated that the Athabasca river rapids north of Pelican Portage could be navigated by scow and portage. Each spring while the river thawed, Cree and Métis labourers were hired at the Landing to construct scows to transport goods down the Athabasca River to Ft McMurray. European and Métis crews also piloted steamboats between Lesser Slave Lake and Athabasca Landing. The HBC built a retail store, warehouse and factor’s residence in 1886-87. By Municipal Amendment Ordinance, 1901, the Town of Athabasca was incorporated by Proclamation on September 19, 1911. The first Canadian Northern Railway train from Edmonton arrived on May 25, 1912 and a class B train station was completed by December, 1912.

International Order of Odd Fellows, Lodge 88

  • ATH 85.271_273
  • Corporate body
  • 1912 - [ca. 1925]

The Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF) is a non-political and non-sectarian international fraternal order of Odd Fellowship. It was founded in 1819 by Thomas Wildey in Baltimore, Maryland, United States. Evolving from the Order of Odd Fellows founded in England during the 1700s, the IOOF was originally chartered by the Independent Order of Oddfellows Manchester Unity in England but has operated as an independent organization since 1842, although it maintains an inter-fraternal relationship with the English Order. The order is also known as the Triple Link Fraternity, referring to the order's "Triple Links" symbol, alluding to its motto "Friendship, Love and Truth".

While several unofficial Odd Fellows lodges had existed in New York City circa 1806-1818, because of its charter relationship, the American Odd Fellows is regarded as being founded with Washington Lodge No 1 in Baltimore at the Seven Stars Tavern on April 26, 1819, by Thomas Wildey along with some associates[5] who assembled in response to an advertisement in the New Republic. The following year, the lodge affiliated with the Independent Order of Oddfellows Manchester Unity and was granted the authority to institute new lodges. Previously, Wildey had joined the Grand United Order of Oddfellows (1798-) in 1804 but followed through with the split of Independent Order of Oddfellows Manchester Unity (1810-) before immigrating to the United States in 1817.

In 1842, after an elementary dispute on authority, the American Lodges formed a governing system separate from the English Order, and in 1843 assumed the name Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

The Independent Order of Odd Fellows became the first fraternity in the United States to include both men and women when it adopted the "Beautiful Rebekah Degree" on September 20, 1851, by initiative of Schuyler Colfax, later Vice-President of the United States.

Beyond fraternal and recreational activities, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows promotes the ethic of reciprocity and charity, by implied inspiration of Judeo-Christian ethics. The largest Sovereign Grand Lodge of all fraternal orders of Odd Fellows since the 19th century, it enrolls some 600,000 members divided in approximately 10,000 lodges in 26 countries, inter-fraternally recognised by the second largest, the British-seated Independent Order of Oddfellows Manchester Unity.

From Wikipedia: International Order of Odd Fellows, November 15, 2018

Shalapay, David Sr.

  • ATH 85.311
  • Person
  • 1929 - 1989

David Shalapay Sr. was born 6 August, 1909 in Litoviscz, Ukraine to Sawa and Fevronia Shalapay and emigrated to Canada in 1929 with his parents and brother Mike. The family homesteaded in the Richmond Park area, David Sr. died 8 August, 1989 in Athabasca, Alberta.

Athabasca Archives Audio Recording Collection

  • ATH AAAR
  • Corporate body
  • 1985 - present

Athabasca and area locals interviewed seniors for their reminiscences of homesteading, farming, logging, rural schools, and recreational activities.

Athabasca Farmers Market

  • ATH AFM 2019
  • Corporate body
  • 1978 - present

A weekly and/or seasonal Athabasca and area Farmers Market was researched in January 1978 and this included a local survey of interest and attendance at an Alberta Agriculture Farmers’ Market seminar in Edmonton. The first Farmers Market was organized by volunteers just prior to Christmas, 1978 and was held in the basement of the Athabasca Community Centre. It may also have been held at the Athabasca Arena at various times during the day on Fridays. It was sponsored by the Athabasca Agricultural Society and one of the early managers was Theresa Keith. Early promotional efforts included cake decorating contests, door prizes and the mention of new visitors in a regular column published the Athabasca Advocate newspaper. Early members include Staffie Rypien, Grace Stychin, Mildred Haggith, Shirley Berezowski, Lilo Sanftl, Pennie Hunter, Otto Christensen, Lorraine Schultz, Joy Richards, Pat Williamson, Dorothy McCue, Maria Muller, Maureen Weymouth, Gwen Wolstenholme, Loreen Dagley, Liz Lamoureux, Mary Bart, Mary Schmidt, Mr. and Mrs. Stellmaker, and a BC fruit producer from Westlock. Annual membership was $10.00. Board positions were president, vice president, secretary and treasurer. All vendors set their own prices and a percentage of sales was given to the Market. Items for sale included fresh baking, farm fresh eggs, hand-made clothing, frozen foods, household items, seasonal bedding plants and crafts.
In 1984, the Farmers Market moved to a retail location on the main floor of Dr. Wright’s building at 4902 – 49 Street, Athabasca and was open six days a week from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm. The store was staffed by volunteers. The store location closed on December 19, 2001 due to a number of factors including volunteer burn out and changes in health regulations which made it more difficult to operate in the same way; specifically, food items that were baked in home kitchens and not on site. The Farmers Market Board donated the remaining $4,000.00 in their bank account to the Athabasca Health Care Centre Ladies Auxiliary.
The Athabasca Farmers Market has always operated with the designation of “Alberta Approved Farmers Market.” This means that 80% of good sold are produced in Alberta. It was billed as the only full-time, year-round farmers’ market in Alberta during the years it was located in Dr. Wright’s building.
There was no Farmers Market in Athabasca between the years 2001 and 2004. It was then brought back under the sponsorship of the Athabasca District Chamber of Commerce and again held weekly/seasonally in the basement of the Community Centre. Due to scheduling difficulties at the Community Centre, the Farmers Market was moved to the basement of the Royal Canadian Legion #103 in 2006.
In 2011, a new organization, the North Country Community Council, sponsored the Farmers Market and it is now held every second Saturday from October to May at the Athabasca Regional Multiplex. During the spring and summer months, it is held weekly on the Athabasca riverfront. The Town of Athabasca donated a one-time start up grant of $2,500 in 2012. During the months of January through November, the market has between 25 – 30 tables and peaks with as many as 65 tables in the month before Christmas. The Farmers Market executive has made donations to the Good Samaritan Food Bank and the Athabasca Santas Anonymous annual campaign.

Results 11 to 20 of 23584