Affichage de 20760 résultats

Personne/organisme

4-H Canada. Angus Ridge Chapter. Angus Ridgette Multiclub

  • WET
  • Collectivité

4-H is an international, community, non-profit organization for young people. 4-H clubs often formed special clubs designed to appeal to female members. The Angus Ridgette Multiclub consisted of girls aged 12- 14 who lived in the district of Angus Ridge, south-east of Wetaskiwin. The Angus Ridgette Multiclub would meet monthly under the supervision of an adult leader and discuss issues important to teenage girls and plan activities. Activities included visiting seniors in old age homes, raising money for charity, trips to Edmonton, public speaking contests, summer camps and other activities. It is unclear when the group was created.

5th Trumpeter Swan Troop Boy Scouts

  • SPRA-0392
  • Collectivité
  • [ca. 1965]-unknown

Grande Prairie had an active Boy Scout movement in the 1960s as evidenced by this group of "Owls" and "Wolves" with their troop leaders. At that time a boy at 11 years of age could join as a Tenderfoot and aspire to eventually become a "Queen's Scout". The boys learned practical life saving skills following their motto, "Be Prepared" and as well performing community service projects.

Canada. Canadian Armed Forces. General Transport Company, 69

  • RED
  • Collectivité

The Canadian Army Service Corps, a branch of the Non-Permanent Active Militia, was formed in 1901. In 1936 it was honoured by being renamed the Royal Canadian Army Service Corps (RCASC). In 1941 the 69th Canadian Tank Transporter Company was established as part of the RCASC. It formed and trained at Red Deer, Alberta, and saw action in France and Germany in 1944-1945. During the war, the company was renamed the 69 Canadian General Transport Company, and it was later renamed the 69 General Transport Company. In 1969, as a result of the 1968 reorganization of the Canadian Armed Forces, the RCASC was superseded by the Logistic Branch. In 1991 a reunion of veterans of the company was held at Red Deer.

76 Ranch

  • med
  • Collectivité

Sir John Lister-Kaye was the visionary behind the 76 Ranch. In the fall of 1884, Lister-Kaye purchased almost seven thousand acres from the CPR and Dominion at Balgonie, east of Regina. Finding success with that region of land, Lister-Kaye turned his attention to the region west of Calgary. He purchased 10,000 acres of land there from the CPR and Dominion and began to establish ten farms. Seven of them were, at intervals, west of the Swift Current district extending almost to Calgary, one on the plains of Rush Lake, another south of Swift Current, and the third near a CPR experimental farm at Gull Lake. Lister-Kaye began promoting his group of farms as the Alberta and Assiniboia Land, Stock and Coal Company, but without convincing investors of the value and a bad drought, the scheme was almost abandoned. In 1888, however, along with D.J (Joe) Wylie, Lister-Kaye set out for England to convince his investors that his business was worthwhile. Success was had, and a new syndicate known as the Canadian Agricultural Coal and Colonization Company (CACC Co.) was created on January 26, 1888. This company bought out Lister-Kaye's Blagonie holdings and took over his purchase agreement with the CPR and Dominion once the land was inspected by the investors and given approval. By the end of 1888 the sale was finalized and Lister-Kaye had made a fortune, and also became manager of the CACC Co. for five years. The 76 Ranch brand orginally came from the Powder River Ranch Company, an English-owned organization based in London, when Lister-Kaye purchased about 5800 cattle for his ten station farms. Since the cattle already bore the brand "76" the CACC Co. decided to maintain it, and that is why today the whole enterprise in the North-West is known as the "76" Ranch. Lister-Kaye imported many high-quality breeds - mares, Merino Ewes, rams, bulls, Yorkshire Boars, and pigs - and distributed them all throughout his enterprise. Young Englishmen, and some women, were recruited and sent to the North-West to begin constructing the farm buildings and farm the land. To capitalize on the success of his farms, Lister-Kaye came up with an idea that linked his farms together. He opened up butcher shops and slaughterhouses in Dunmore and Medicine Hat and a large meat packing plant in Calgary in order to sell the company's own beef, mutton, and pork. The idea to sell cheese and butter, however, failed. After reckless mistakes and decisions, Lister-Kaye was replaced as manager of the CACC Co. and Harper P. Clinto took over. The company's troubles, however, did not end. In 1890, a prarie fire started by sparks from a CPR engine trapped 2200 CACC Co. sheep who were grazing near Gull Lake. Most of them were pregnant and over half of them were killed or badly burned. Coyotes also heavily prayed on lambs and sheep. A bad hail storm in 1890 also destroyed the crops in the Swift Current region. D.H Andrews took over as cattle manager of the "76" in 1890 and the livestock from Swift Current moved to Rush Lake, and those at Gull Lake moved to the Crane Lake ranch. Plagued by financial troubles, the CACC Co. sold all of its holdings and assests in the North-West to a new London-based company, the Canadian Land and Ranch Company Ltd. (CL & R Co.). A.F Eden was chairman of the Board of Directors and D.H Andrews was made general manager of the company. Selling off livestock became a priority to make money and several employees were dismissed. Weather and low prices for wool made making money a tough practice, even though the new company managed to make healthy profits through consolidations. The company was dealt a mortal blow during the winter of 1906 - 1907 when two-thirds of their cattle herd died on the open range, and was only able to continue on until 1909 because of stored profits. In 1909, the company gave up ranching entirely, and sold its remainging holdings to the firm of Gordon, Ironsides and Fares of Winnipeg.

202nd Canadian Infantry Battalion

  • GLEN
  • Collectivité
  • 1916-1920

The 202nd Canadian Infantry Battalion (Edmonton Sportsmen Battalion) was organized in 1916. Once overseas it was absorbed by the 9th Reserve Battalion to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field. An unidentified member of the battalion's brass band kept a photo album during the First World War. The battalion was disbanded in 1920 and was perpetuated by the 19th Alberta Dragoons.

unknown

  • paa

No information available

1980 Jasper High School Reunion

  • JAS
  • Collectivité
  • 1980

In 1980 the Jasper High School held a high school reunion which was to include everyone who had ever graduated from Jasper High School, beginning with the year 1914, all the way to 1980. The idea for this event, as well as some of the funding, came from the Provincial Government of Alberta, as 1980 was the province's 75th anniversary. The Province had a program entitled "Homecoming 1980" which was run by Travel Alberta. Locally various committees made of volunteers were put into place to set up this event with expectations of 2000 to 2500 attendees. Two major components of the project were undertaken. Firstly there was a quilt with the names of all Jasper High School graduates, and secondly a large photo album containing pictures of graduates and their families from past and present. There were also many clippings from newspapers compiled which were then photocopied.

A-20 Army Camp

  • RED
  • Collectivité
  • 1939-1944

A-20 Army Camp was a training ground for 1,500 to 1,800 soldiers that were stationed in Red Deer during World War II. The original army barrack [building] was moved to Knee Hill, Albert in 1948 when locals wanted to create a community hall and curling rink. During a much needed renovation of the 60-year-old roof, these records were found in the attic amongst the wood-chip insulation.

Résultats 1 à 10 sur 20760