Showing 12 results

Authority record
University of Calgary Archives and Special Collections (UOFC)

Carter, David

  • UOFC
  • Person

The Very Reverend David John Carter was born April 6, 1934 in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. He received his BA from the University of Manitoba in 1958 and his L.Th from St. John's College, Winnipeg in 1960. From 1965 to 1969 he was the Anglican Chaplain to the University of Calgary, Mount Royal Junior College and SAIT. He served on the University of Calgary Senate from 1971 to 1977 and was a member of the Honorary Degree Committee and Chancellor's Nominating Committee (1974). Mr Carter was named the Dean of Cathedral Church of the Redeemer (Anglican) in June, 1969, the youngest Anglican Dean in the world.

Doucette, A.L.

  • UOFC
  • Person

Andrew Leo Doucette, 1900-1974, was born in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. After receiving a BSc degree in Civil Engineering from Dalhousie University and Nova Scotia Technical College ca.1917-1920, he taught in rural Alberta schools and received his teaching certificate from the Edmonton Normal School in 1923. He continued teaching in Alberta, including at the Edmonton Normal School (1929-1932, 1940) and the Calgary Normal School (1938-1940), and was Rural School Inspector at Vegreville (ca.1932-1936). He also served in the Canadian Army from 1940-1946, attaining the rank of major. He received an MA degree from the University of Alberta in 1940, and a Doctorate in Education from Stanford University in 1947. He then served as Head of the Faculty of Education at the University of Alberta, Calgary Branch and the Director of University of Alberta, Calgary from 1947-1960. From 1960-1961 he was Associate Dean of Education at University of Alberta, Calgary. He received a Doctor of Laws degree at The University of Calgary's first convocation after autonomy. During his years as an administrator, he worked strenuously to establish an autonomous University of Calgary. He also chaired or was a member of several education committees and conferences including the Western Canadian Conference on Teacher Education. He and his wife, Violet Thelen, had three children, Frank, Marjorie and Kay.

Heymann, Frederick G.

  • UOFC
  • Person
  • 1900-1983

Frederick G. Heymann was born in Berlin on December 24, 1900. He studied history, philosophy, economics and sociology at the Universities of Berlin, Göttingen, Heidelberg and Frankfurt. He received his PhD from the University of Frankfurt in 1922 and spent two years on postgraduate work with Werner Sombart, an historian of modern capitalism.

Heymann started his journalism career in 1925 as the assistant economic policy editor for Frankfurter Zeitung, a highly regarded newspaper in pre-Hitler Germany. In 1932 he moved to Czechoslovakia as head of the Prague editorial office. Heymann’s writing came under increasing criticism from the German legation as being too friendly to the Czech people and to Czechoslovak policy. In 1935 the office was taken over by the Nazis and Heymann moved on to the Bohemia, a local daily paper of which he was editor, chief editorial writer and diplomatic correspondent. Both of these positions involved intensive diplomatic travel and study of the politics, economies and history of Eastern European countries.

Several members of the Bohemia’s editorial staff were arrested in March 1939; although Heymann was questioned, he was subsequently let go. With the help of Dr. Zdenek Schmoranz from the Press Department in the office of the Prime Minister, Heymann was able to leave the country with his family, arriving in England in July 1939. He expected to travel on to Australia but the outbreak of the war prevented him from doing so, and also contributed to his 10-week stay in an internment camp on the Isle of Man.

Heymann took classes to become proficient in English and was eventually employed in 1941 by the British Ministry of Information. He wrote and edited articles and became the military correspondent for Die Zeitung, a German language paper sponsored by the Ministry. In 1944 he was hired by the United States Office of War Information, a position that enabled him to travel to Germany as a civilian editor for the illustrated weekly Heute. At the end of the war, Heymann and his family emigrated to the United States, arriving in New York in July 1946.

Once in America, Heymann taught history at high schools and pursued his life-long passion of research and writing. His first book was published in 1955, a major work on John Žižka and the Hussite Revolution. Between 1956-1958 he was a member of the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, New Jersey and then was Visiting Professor at the University of Iowa 1958-1959. He joined the University of Calgary in 1959 as an associate professor of history, later serving as Head of the Department. Heymann was widely acknowledged as an authority on Czech history and would publish numerous articles, chapters and books, including George of Bohemia, King of Heretics (1965) and Poland and Czechoslovakia (1966). He retired from the University of Calgary in 1973 and was granted Professor Emeritus status for his outstanding scholarship and service.

Heymann and his first wife Edith had two children, Ruth Bean and Frank. Edith died in 1966. Heymann married his second wife Dr. Lili Rabel from the Department of Linguistics, University of Calgary, in 1969. He died in 1983.

Knudsen, Arthur W.

  • UOFC
  • Person

Arthur W. Knudsen was a professor of physics formerly of Washington, DC (in the 1950s), Geneva, Switzerland (ca. 1961), and Palo Alto, California (as of 1962). Professor Knudsen joined the staff in the Department of Physics at the University of Calgary as Senior Demonstrator ca. 1966 and remained until around 1984. His interest in precision modelling of reciprocating steam engines prompted the creation of these records.

Rothney Astrophysical Observatory

  • UOFC
  • Corporate body
  • 1970-present

The impetus for the Rothney Astrophysical Observatory (RAO) was initiated by Mr. Alexander (Sandy) Rothney Cross in December 1970 when he offered to donate a quarter section of land near Priddis, Alberta to the University. The Capital Resources Policy Committee passed a motion in June 1971 to proceed with a tree farm, animal farm and observatory on the land (the tree and animal farms never came to fruition). At Cross’s request, the observatory was named the Rothney Astrophysical Observatory to honour his mother’s side of the family. The site was officially opened in January 1972 by Dr. Margaret Burbidge, then Director of the Royal Observatory, Greenwich, who unveiled the RAO’s sundial to symbolize the emergence of the University of Calgary onto the astronomical scene.

Cyril Challice, the Head of the Department of Physics, gave the initial planning of the site to Dr. T. Alan Clark who was joined in September 1971 by Dr. Eugene F.Milone; the two would become co-directors of the facility in 1975 and oversee its modest beginnings to a million-dollar research destination. The equipment first used was a 16 inch (.4 m) research grade telescope ordered by Clark from England with the initial photometer instrumentation obtained from the University of Virginia. This early photometer was modified over the years to become the Rapid Alternate Detection System (RADS), a system developed at the University of Calgary that allows for precision photometry through light cloud and that can adjust for variations in urban light reflections.

In the early 1980s, a Baker-Nunn satellite tracking camera was purchased for $.01 from the Cold Lake Air Force Base and transported to the RAO where it was installed in 1983. At the same time, Dr. George Coyne, then Director of the observatory at the Lunar and Planetary Lab in Tucson facilitated the acquisition of a 1.5 m metal mirror for the RAO. This became the basis of a $198,000 grant to build an alt-alt mounting for an infrared telescope to permit unblocked views of the entire sky and allow observations at the zenith where atmospheric distortion is minimal. The Cross Educational Foundation provided the funds for a building to house the apparatus and a dedication ceremony for the new 1.5 m, 8 tonne infrared telescope (IRT) was held on May 6, 1987. Dr. George Coyne, S.J., now Director of the Vatican Observatory, dedicated the telescope; Mr. Cross officially cut the ribbon. The telescope was renamed the ARCT or the Alexander Rothney Cross telescope to honour Sandy Cross who had donated more land and significant additional funding over the years. At the time, the RAO was Canada’s only dedicated infrared telescope facility, with its advantage of altitude and extreme dry air conditions that allowed for clear observations.

The 1.5 m mirror was replaced in 1993 by a new generation 1.8 m honeycomb mirror created in the Optical Sciences Centre of the University of Arizona. The Astrophysical Research Consortium at the Apache Point Observatory, New Mexico had offered in the late 1980s to fund ½ the costs of polishing the mirror in return for its short-term usage. Dr. Alan Clark developed the design for the mounting and oversaw its construction; first light was achieved through the newly upgraded 1.8 m telescope in January, 1996. A year later, the RAO celebrated its 25th anniversary.

In 2001, Dr. Milone submitted a grant to build a Visitor’s Centre at the site in order to expand outreach and teaching capabilities. The $400,000 submission was successful; the new Visitor’s Centre and teaching facility was official opened in 2005. Dr. Milone stepped down as Director of the RAO on September 1, 2004. Dr. Rene Plume became Acting Director for a year until Philip Langill was named Director.

University of Alberta. Students' Union

  • UOFC
  • Corporate body

The Evergreen and Gold is the official yearbook of the University of Alberta. It chronicles student life at the University of Alberta in Edmonton and is published annually by the Students' Union.

University of Calgary. Board of Governors

  • UOFC
  • Corporate body

The Fund Raising Committee was active from 1968-1970. In March 1970, the name of the Fund Raising Committee name was changed to the Fund Development Committee. The terms of reference for the Fund Development Committee approved September 10, 1974 were: a) Responsible for review and recommendation to the Board of plans for a major fund-raising campaign, including the selection of a professional fund-raising organization, setting of target, cooperation and/or coordination with other universities in Alberta, etc. b) Responsible for considering fund-raising possibilities, including student assistance, and c) Responsible for reviewing student assistance programs. The terms of reference were revised in 1976, at which time the committee became responsible for reviewing and recommending to the Board policies and procedures for fund development.

University of Calgary. Board of Governors

  • UOFC
  • Corporate body

The Board of Governors established the Banff School of Fine Arts Advisory Committee to maintain liaison with the Banff School of Fine Arts. The first meeting of the committee was held March 11, 1968. The committee was also known as the Banff School of Fine Arts Committee and the Banff School Committee. The committee was dissolved on September 8, 1970, after the Universities Act was amended and this role was assumed by the Council for the Banff School of Fine Arts. Full autonomy was not attained for the Banff School of Fine Arts, however, until the "Banff Center Act" was passed in 1978.

University of Calgary. Board of Governors

  • UOFC
  • Corporate body

The first meeting of the Fund Raising Committee was held on February 15, 1968. The terms of reference approved February 13, 1968 were: a) Responsible for review and recommendation to Board of plans for a major fund raising campaign including the selection of a professional fund raising organization, setting of target, co-operation and/or co-ordination with other universities in Alberta, etc. and b) Responsible for review and recommendation to Board of methods and co-ordination of continuous fund raising possibilities that may be suggested by staff, officers, Board members, etc. In March 1970, the committee name was changed from the Fund Raising Committee to the Fund Development Committee.

University of Calgary. Board of Governors

  • UOFC
  • Corporate body

The terms of reference for the Business and Finance Committee were approved on February 13, 1968 and were expanded in September 1974 to include the following: a) Responsible for recommending to the Board annual operating and capital budgets; b) Responsible for review and recommendations to Board of all business procedures and policies that require Board approval; c) Review and, if necessary, recommend to the Board on all matters affecting financial statements, budget control, budget reports, and budget procedures; d) Responsible for recommending to the Board policy covering the investment of University and trust funds; e) Responsible for recommendations to the Board on tuition fees for subsequent transmission to the Government for approval; f) Responsible for review and recommendations to the Board on all matters concerning physical planning, assessment of priority, space allocation, site development, long-range campus planning and other matters affecting the physical assets of the university; g) Responsible for the general supervision of construction after the Board has accepted a tender; and h) Responsible for reviewing current standards and procedures for design and construction and recommending appropriate changes to the Board. In September 1974, the Capital Development Committee was disbanded, and the areas of responsibility previously handled by the Capital Development Committee were transferred to the Business and Finance Committee. The terms of reference for the Business and Finance Committee were revised again in 1976, at which time this committee became responsible for overseeing the activity of the University Arts Policy Committee. The Board of Governors approved the establishment of two sub-committees of the Business and Finance Committee. In October, 1976 the Investment Committee was created, and this was followed in November 1978 by the establishment of the Audit Committee. (In December 1986, the Audit Committee became a standing committee of the Board of Governors.); In September 1982, there was another re-organization of Board committees. At that time, the terms of reference for the Business and Finance Committee were rescinded, and new terms of reference were approved for the Finance Committee and the Business and Building Committee. The newly created Finance Committee assumed the duties of the Business and Finance Committee.

Results 1 to 10 of 12