Showing 1634 results

Authority record
Glenbow Museum & Archives

10th Battalion, Royal Grenadiers

  • glen
  • Corporate body

The 10th Royals came into existence in 1861 under the Canadian Militia Act of 1855. It was a regiment of volunteer militia of working men from Toronto, and was led by Lieutenant-Colonel F.W. Cumberland. It served in the Fenian Raid of 1866, and after a number of variations in name was reorganized as the Royal Grenadiers in 1880. In 1881 it was renamed the 10th Battalion, Royal Grenadiers. It fought in the Riel Rebellion of 1885.

137th Battalion Association

  • glen
  • Corporate body

The 137th Battalion Association was established in Calgary, Alberta in 1920 to hold annual reunion dinners of former 137th Battalion members. These dinners continued regularly until 1956, then from 1958 to1960. In 1965 a group gathered to clean up and repair the field-stone Battalion numbers and later another reunion was held. In 1967 the group promoted the naming of a Calgary bridge after 137th Battalion Victoria Cross winner John G. Pattison and began the construction of a memorial in Glenmore Park that was dedicated in June 1968. The group's final reunion was in 1971. For further information see A Legacy of Courage : "Calgary's own" : 137th Overseas Battalion, C. E. F. / Fred Bagley & Dr. Harvey Daniel Duncan. -- Calgary : Plug Street Books, 1993.

137th Canadian Infantry Battalion

  • glen-1795
  • Corporate body
  • 1915-1920

This photo album was compiled during the First World War by an unidentified member of the 137th Battalion from Calgary, Alberta. The battalion was organized December 22, 1915 and was absorbed by the 21st Reserve Battalion to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field. It was disbanded on September 15, 1920.

196th Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force

  • GLEN
  • Corporate body
  • 1916-1917

The 196th Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force, also known as the Western Universities Battalion or "Wubs" consisted of students and faculty from the provincial universities of the four western provinces. It was organized into companies A, B, C, and D, from the universities of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and British Columbia respectively. The battalion was formed early in 1916, and trained at Camp Hughes, Manitoba and in England. In 1917 it was broken up, and its members were transferred to other battalions that had been depleted in battle during the First World War. Members of the Battalion met annually for reunions from 1919 until at least 1969. George C. Waight of Winnipeg was the organizer of these events. Egbert N. "Eg" Bowman of Calgary collected newsclippings about the reunions and corresponded with some of his old comrades.

19th Alberta Dragoons

  • glen

The Department of National Defence was created in 1923 by the National Defence Act which established one civil department in place of the previous Department of Militia and Defence, the Department of the Naval Service and the Air Board. The Canadian Forces Reorganization Act in 1968 unified the Royal Canadian Navy, the Canadian Army and the Royal Canadian Air Force into a single service called the Canadian Armed Forces. The Department is responsible for the control and management of the Canadian Armed Forces, and all matters related to national defence establishments and the defence of Canada. The 19th Alberta Mounted Rifles originated in 1908, and was formed from four independent squadrons of mounted rifles. It was redesignated 19th Alberta Dragoons in 1911, but served in France and Belgium in the First World War as "A" Squadron, Canadian Light Horse. In the Second World War it served in Canada and its various units disbanded in 1943 and 1945. One battalion served in the reserve army. In 1936 it absorbed the Alberta Mounted Rifles, and in 1946 the Edmonton Fusiliers. The Alberta Mounted Rifles was originally authorized in 1908 as the 23rd Mounted Rifles, and redesignated the 21st Alberta Hussars and later the Alberta Mounted Rifles. The Edmonton Fusiliers was originally created as the 101st Regiment (Edmonton Fusiliers) in 1909; it provided troops for the 9th Battalion, CEF in the First World War, and was split into the Edmonton Fusiliers and the Edmonton Regiment (later the Loyal Edmonton Regiment) in 1924.

202nd Canadian Infantry Battalion

  • GLEN
  • Corporate body
  • 1916-1920

The 202nd Canadian Infantry Battalion (Edmonton Sportsmen Battalion) was organized in 1916. Once overseas it was absorbed by the 9th Reserve Battalion to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field. An unidentified member of the battalion's brass band kept a photo album during the First World War. The battalion was disbanded in 1920 and was perpetuated by the 19th Alberta Dragoons.

31st Canadian Infantry Battalion (Alberta)

  • glen

The Department of National Defence was created in 1923 by the National Defence Act which established one civil department in place of the previous Department of Militia and Defence, the Department of the Naval Service and the Air Board. The Canadian Forces Reorganization Act in 1968 unified the Royal Canadian Navy, the Canadian Army and the Royal Canadian Air Force into a single service called the Canadian Armed Forces. The Department is responsible for the control and management of the Canadian Armed Forces, and all matters related to national defence establishments and the defence of Canada. The 31st Canadian Infantry Battalion (Alberta) was organized in Calgary on March 15, 1915, and came to a strength of 1,033. In the First World War it served in France and Belgium with the 6th Infantry Brigade, 2nd Canadian Division from September 18, 1915 until the armistice.

Abbott, Lillian and John

  • glen

John Thomas Abbott, 1889-?, was born in Tottenham, London, England, the son of John Abbott, 1864-1937, and Edith Emma Sutton, 1870-1938. He emigrated with his family to Calgary, Alberta in the early 1890s. About 1895 the family moved to La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA where his parents remained. John later moved to the Excel / Oyen district of eastern Alberta about 1915. In 1916 he married Lillian Marie Runnings, 1896-1990, originally from Detroit, Michigan. In the 1920s they moved to Martinez, California where John worked for the Tidewater Oil Company until about 1950. They had at least one son, John Robert Abbott, 1930-2002.

Results 1 to 10 of 1634