Showing 20760 results

Authority record

A.B. Simpson

  • auc
  • Person
  • 1843-1919

Albert Benjamin Simpson was born to James and Jane Simpson in Bayview, Prince Edward Island on December 15, 1843. As a young child, his family relocated to a homestead outside of Chatham, Ontario. A. B. Simpson entered Knox College, Toronto in the fall of 1861 in order to prepare for the ministry. In the summer of 1865, fresh out of seminary, the twenty-one year old Simpson accepted the call to the pulpit of Knox Church in Hamilton, Ontario. He was officially ordained by the Hamilton Presbytery on September 12, 1865. The next day, he was married to Margaret Henry of Toronto. In October of 1873, he was invited to the pastorate of Chestnut Street Presbyterian Church in Louisville, Kentucky, which he accepted in December of that year. In September of 1879, he relocated to New York City to become the pastor of Thirteenth Street Presbyterian. Burdened by a heart for the lost and forgotten peoples in far away lands, in early 1880 Simpson began editing and producing an illustrated missionary periodical which he entitled, The Gospel in All Lands. In the summer of 1881, his health in shambles underneath a tremendous workload, Simpson's body was miraculously healed, an experience which not only prolonged his life, but would prove formative for the following decades of his ministry. In October of the same year, finding himself in disagreement with the Presbyterian position on infant baptism, and troubled by the reticence of the congregation to reach out to the lost of the city, Simpson tendered his resignation from both the church and presbytery. Within two weeks, he began conducting public meetings in rented halls. By 1883, the new church which Simpson led had grown to 217 members, and his Sunday night outreach services were regularly attracting crowds of 700 people. Halfway through the year his congregation incorporated legally under the name Gospel Tabernacle. In 1882, Simpson launched another missionary periodical named The Word, the Work and the World. In March of 1883, his congregation formed its own missionary society, "The Missionary Union for the Evangelization of the World". In October of the same year, the Gospel Tabernacle launched the Missionary Training College. In October of 1885, Simpson held a convention which brought together a number of ministers from across denominational lines. Following the convention, Simpson, along with several of the key speakers from the convention, undertook a multi-city tour. In 1886, Simpson was invited to bring a similar convention to Old Orchard camp in Main. It was out of this convention that a movement was sparked which would consolidate in the form of two complementary alliances, the "Christian Alliance" and the "Evangelical Missionary Alliance". The following summer at the second gathering at Old Orchard in August of 1887, the constitutions to both alliances were finalized and adopted. The two alliances were not formed with an eye towards constructing a fresh denomination. Rather, the alliances were to function as "spiritual catalysts among existing denominations for holy living and world missions."1 By 1893, the Alliance had fielded 180 missionaries throughout the world. By 1895, that number had grown to almost 300. In 1897, the Missionary Training College was moved to Nyack, NY, and assumed the name of "Missionary Training Institute". A. B Simpson continued tirelessly in his full schedule of preaching to congregations, speaking at conventions, teaching at Nyack, writing books and magazine articles, and leading and administrating a growing international movement. On October 29, 1919, A. B. Simpson went to be with the Lord. Paul Rader, pastor of Moody Church in Chicago, succeeded Simpson as president of the Christian and Missionary Alliance. More biographical information on Simpson as well as information concerning the early history of the Christian and Missionary Alliance can be found in the book by R. Nicklaus, J. Sawin and S. Stoesz entitled, All for Jesus: God at Work in the Christian and Missionary Alliance over One Hundred Years. (Camp Hill, Penn.: Christian Publications Inc., 1986).

Abasand Oils

  • paa

In 1930, Max W. Ball and associates Basil O. Jones and James McClave established Canadian Northern Oil-Sand Products Limited to produce oil and refined products from the oil sands of the Athabasca region near Fort McMurray, Alberta. A charter was issued to Canadian Northern Oil-Sand Products by the Federal Government on September 2, 1930; the head office of the company was located in Edmonton, Alberta. The company developed a process for the extraction of oil from the oil sands. The Canadian Northern Oil-Sand Products was renamed Abasand Oils Limited in 1935. The company built a plant on land leased from the Federal Government on the banks of the Horse River, near Fort McMurray, Alberta; the plant opened in 1936. In 1943, the Federal Government took over operations at the Abasand Oils' plant under the <em>War Measures Act</em>. The plant was damaged by fire in 1945. The federal government abandoned the site in May 1946, and the rights and properties were returned to the Abasand Oils. The plant did not resume operations. In 1953, Abasand Oils subleased most of its oil sands holdings, but it was not until 1967 that it began to receive royalties. Abasand Oils became a subsidiary of Canadian Industrial Gas and Oil Limited, which dissolved in 1975.

Abbott, Lillian and John

  • glen

John Thomas Abbott, 1889-?, was born in Tottenham, London, England, the son of John Abbott, 1864-1937, and Edith Emma Sutton, 1870-1938. He emigrated with his family to Calgary, Alberta in the early 1890s. About 1895 the family moved to La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA where his parents remained. John later moved to the Excel / Oyen district of eastern Alberta about 1915. In 1916 he married Lillian Marie Runnings, 1896-1990, originally from Detroit, Michigan. In the 1920s they moved to Martinez, California where John worked for the Tidewater Oil Company until about 1950. They had at least one son, John Robert Abbott, 1930-2002.

Abbott, Lloyd

  • RED

D. Lloyd Abbott was born in the Red Deer, Alberta district, the son of dairy plant supervisor William Reginald Abbott and his wife the former Margaret Eleanor Streatch. In 1958 he was a student in a diploma course in dairying at the University of Alberta. He farmed near Eckville, Alberta. He married Jacqueline Bell, and they had three children, Kimlee Anne, Lori, and Grant

Abbott, Sharon

  • jhse

Leslie Sharon Cantor Abbott is a graduate of the University of Alberta, and works as a graphic artist. She is the daughter of Dr. Max and Edith Secter Cantor of Edmonton. She is divorced from Mr. Daniel Charles Abbott of Winnipeg, whom she married in 195? at the Beth Shalom synagogue. Her brother is Paul Cantor of Toronto. She has two children, Laurence and Jennifer. Dr. Max Cantor was a professor of biochemistry at the University of Alberta, and served as Chief Coroner of the Province of Alberta for over 30 years. He won numerous citations and awards during his long and distinguished career. Her mother, Edith Cantor was an active volunteer, mostly with the University of Alberta, and an amateur actress, appearing in many Little Theatre productions.

ABC Investment Club

  • paa
  • Corporate body

The ABC Investment Club was formed on January 26, 1965 in Edmonton, Alberta with seven founding members; Helen Diemert, Bea Grinnell, Alice Dowhaniuk, Pat George, Joyce Lampard, Betty Berry, Mary MacEachern and Glenys Lashmar. The purposes of the club were to educate members in the fundamental principles and techniques of sound investment practice, and to enable members to invest regularly and mutually to take advantage of compound income. The club was organized with a president, vice-president, managing director and secretary and allowed only fifteen active members.

Abell, Ted

  • paa

Edward (Ted) Howard Abell was born June 22, 1919 in Edmonton, Alberta, but was raised and educated in Calgary, Alberta. He attended the Western Canada High School in Calgary. Following graduation in 1937, he apprenticed at the Palace Bakery in Calgary, becoming a journeyman baker in 1939. After the Second World War started, Ted joined the Royal Canadian Air Force (R.C.A.F.), training as a pilot and then as a flying instructor. From 1941 to 1943, Ted was a flying instructor, and from 1943 to 1945 he was a flight lieutenant overseas. Following the war, Ted returned to the bakery for two years, and then worked for the City of Calgary for two years. Ted reenlisted with the R.C.A.F., serving in various capacities in Claresholm, Alberta, Comox, British Columbia, Cold Lake, Alberta, Edmonton, Namao, Alberta, Resolute Bay, Northwest Territories and Lancaster Park, Alberta. After retiring from the R.C.A.F. in June of 1964, Ted worked for the Department of the Provincial Secretary, Centennial Branch from 1964 to 1967 as the Centennial Officer on the Centennial Committee, which helped plan and promote Alberta's celebrations for Canada's 100th Birthday. He and wife Dorothy had one son, Ted, and six daughters, Ginger, Nancy (O'Hara), Joyce (Andre), Linda (Campbell), Shirley (Senger) and June (Leechuy). Ted died December 25, 1982.

Aberdeen School District No. 291

  • paa

Aberdeen School District Number (No.) 291 was formed on October 11, 1893 near Innisfail, Alberta. Specifically, it was located at Section 20, Township 35, Range 27, West of the 4th Meridian (20-35-27-W4). The first school board members included Alex McGillivary, W.L. Center, and Egerton Greer. H. A. Malcolm was hired as the first teacher and also fulfilled the duties of secretary-treasurer for the school board. In 1916 the school was moved to Section 29, Township 35, Range 27, West of the 4th Meridian (29-35-27-W4). The school was closed circa (ca.) 1957 and ministerial approval for sale of the school land to the Innisfail community was given ca. 1958.

Aberhart Memorial Sanatorium

  • paa
  • Corporate body

The Aberhart Memorial Sanatorium opened in 1952 in Edmonton, Alberta. The sanatorium treated tuberculosis patients until 1970 when management of the hospital transferred to the University of Alberta Hospital. The sanatorium offered 295 beds, and a large nurse's residence. Dr. H.H. Stephen was Medical Superintendent of the Sanatorium from 1952 to 1969.

Aberhart, William

  • paa
  • Person
  • 1878-1943

William ("Bible Bill") Aberhart was born December 30, 1878 near Seaforth, Ontario; he was the son of William and Louisa (Pepper) Aberhart. He studied at Mitchell Model School, Chatham Business College, Seaforth Collegiate Institute and the Ontario Normal School in Hamilton, Ontario. He earned a Bachelor of Arts from Queen's University in 1911; he accomplished this by correspondence beginning in 1907. In 1899, he taught at Morris School, near Wingham, Ontario. In 1901, he moved to Brantford, Ontario and taught at Central Public School; he was appointed principal of Central Public School in 1905. He was active in Brantford's Zion Presbyterian Church and for a time planned on entering the Presbyterian ministry. He married Jessie Flatt on July 29, 1902; they had two daughters, Khona Louise (Cooper), born November 1, 1903, and Ola Janette (MacNutt), born August 31, 1905. The Aberhart family moved to Calgary, Alberta in 1910, as Aberhart had accepted an offer from the Calgary School Board to become principal of Mount Royal College beginning in the spring of 1910. However, the school was not ready when he arrived so he became principal of Alexandra Public School. In the fall of 1910, with Mount Royal still not ready, he became principal of Victoria School. When ready, he did become principal of Mount Royal School and then in 1913 became the principal of King Edward School. From 1915 to 1935, Aberhart was principal of Crescent Heights High School. He taught bible classes at Trinity Methodist Church until 1916 and attended and taught classes at Grace Presbyterian Church until 1912. The Aberhart family then attended Wesley Methodist Church and Westbourne Baptist Church where Aberhart was eventually recognized as a lay minister and baptized on May 2, 1920. By 1918, Aberhart's bible classes we so popular and well attended, the classes were renamed the Calgary Prophetic Bible Conference. In 1925, he was appointed Dean of the newly established Calgary Prophetic Bible Institute. Also beginning in 1925, Aberhart's Sunday afternoon bible lectures for the Calgary Prophetic Bible Conference were broadcast over the radio; these became known as "Back-to-the-Bible Hour." In 1929, Aberhart established the Bible Institute Baptist Church. Beginning in 1932, influenced by personal experiences brought on by the Depression, Aberhart began to give serious thought and study to the social credit theories espoused by Major C.H. Douglas. In 1933, Aberhart began giving lectures on these theories, soon forming a Social Credit Study Group; other study groups formed across Calgary and the province. Aberhart organized the Douglas Social Credit League in 1933 (later the Alberta Social Credit League). Initially trying to work with United Farmers of Alberta to implement social credit theories, when this failed, Aberhart organized the social credit movement into a political party, and this Alberta Social Credit Party won the majority of seat in the 1935 provincial election. As leader of the Social Credit Party, even though he did not run, Aberhart was sworn in as Premier and Minister of Education on September 3; on November 3, 1935, a by-election was held in the electoral district of Okotoks-High River which Aberhart won by acclamation. On September 5, 1937, he was appointed Attorney General. He was reelected in 1940 for electoral district of Calgary. Suffering form illness, Aberhart and his wife traveled to Vancouver, British Columbia in April of 1943 to visit their daughters. William Aberhart died May 23, 1943 and was buried in Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Burnaby, British Columbia.

Results 41 to 50 of 20760