Showing 559 results

Authority record
Family

Adames (family)

  • glen-7
  • Family
  • 1867-1961

Henry James Adames, 1867-1955, was born in Chichester, Sussex, England. He served in the North-West Mounted Police (NWMP), 1888-1889. In 1892 he married Florence Maude Carpenter, 1868-1948, in Kenora, Ontario. They had four children, Eric L., 1899-1961, Winifred Helen, 1900-1943, Kathline, [ca. 1902]-1902, and Eileen, 1903-1993. In 1894 the family moved to Medicine Hat, Alberta. They moved to Calgary in 1899, and Henry worked for the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) for a few years, then joined the Sheriff's office. From 1920 to 1933 the family lived in Hanna, Alberta, where Henry was Sheriff and Clerk of the Supreme and District Court. On his retirement in 1933 the family returned to Calgary and made their home in the Scarboro district. They were very active in the Anglican Church, and attended the Cathedral Church of the Redeemer in Calgary. Eric served overseas during First World War and continued his military service after the war, with the RCAF in Caron, Saskatchewan. He retired to Victoria, British Columbia.

Adler (family)

  • jhse
  • Family

Meyer Adler was born in New York in 1906. Meyer's wife, Lilly Spiegel was born in Poland in 1906 and came to New York in 1919. The Adlers were married in 1927 and came to Vegreville on their honeymoon to visit their uncle, Louis Berg. Meyer Adler, impressed with the countryside and the economic possibilities of the region, bought a confectionery store from Mr. Berg and went into business in Vegreville. Over the years, the Adlers operated several stores in Vegreville before opening Adler's Department Store in 1964. The Adlers had five children, Sid, Bernie, Eli, Ted, and Diane. All five children attended university at the University of Alberta in Edmonton. Bernie and Eli became dentists, Sid returned to Vegreville to run the Adler store, Ted became involved in the manufacture of furniture, and Diane became involved in real estate. Adler's department store closed in 1995 and Sid Adler retired to Edmonton. Meyer Adler passed away in 1979 and Lilly Adler died in 1985. Eli Adler married Phyllis Smordin, and they had four children. Phyllis was a Negev Dinner Honouree in 2005.

A.J. Watt family

  • SPRA-0144
  • Family

A.J. Watt was born Albert Edward Watts in Suderland, Ontario on December 23, 1873 to Samuel and Bridgit Watts. On December 29, 1897, in the Diocese of Toronto, he married Mary Frances Purvis, of the Township of Brock. The couple had two children: Ernest Russell born Feb. 19, 1899, and Earl Edward born August 26, 1903.
In 1906 the family moved to Dundurn, Saskatchewan, and in 1914 to the Grande Prairie area, coming in over the Edson Trail, a month-long trip. They filed on three homesteads in the Flying Shot area, the home place being SW 3-71-6-W6. Ernie and Earl completed their schooling at Flying Shot Lake School and supplimented the family income by trapping – mostly coyotes.
By 1924, Albert Edward Watts was going by the name Arthur James Watt. In 1951, when the Old Age Security Act was passed, he applied to the federal government for a birth certificate under that name in order to prove that he qualified for the pension; the reply stated that there was no record of his birth. He then re-applied under the name Albert Edward Watts. No explanation is available for the change of name, but all income tax, correspondence and family stories in the Along the Wapiti history book are recorded under the name Arthur James Watt.
Ernie took out his own homestead, SE 31-70-6-W6, and he and A.J. farmed together. During the 1930s Ernie and Earl worked in the Globe coal mine.
Mary Frances Watt passed away in 1944, and A.J. Watt in 1957. Earl married Olive Ethel Mutch and lived first in High Prairie and then Grande Prairie. He passed away in 1978. Ernie continued to farm the three homesteads as well as Dr. Little’s homestead. In later life he resided in Wild Rose Manor and then Mackenzie Place. He died in 1998 at age 99.

Aldridge (family)

  • paa
  • Family

Oliver Aldridge was born September 24, 1885 in Garden City, Utah, the son of William and Annie (Rolph) Aldridge. The Aldridge family moved to Cardston, Alberta in 1888. Before long they moved near to the Milk River, and in 1896, the family moved to Waterton Lakes. The following year, Oliver and his father discovered oil near Cameron Creek; this was reputedly the first oil discovered in Alberta, and they sold it in bottles to Cardston district residents. The family moved to this site, which became known as Oil City; Alberta's first oil well was drilled at this site. Before long, the family moved back to Cardston. In approximately 1901, Oliver moved to Nelson, British Columbia to work, and while there learned to be a steam engineer. Oliver returned to Cardston and worked as a steam engineer for almost fifty years. Oliver married Rachel Anderson on July 13, 1911 in Cardston; they had three children, Oliver, Margaret and Lawrence. Oliver Aldridge died November 28, 1960 in Cardston.

Alexander family

  • spra-0572
  • Family

William Alexander was born on October 21, 1862 at the “Bent of Haulkerton”, Laurencekirk, near Montrose, Scotland. He was the son of William Alexander and Jessie Cream Fettes. William Sr., born 1816, was the son of Thomas Alexander and Elizabeth Milne in Forfarshire. Thomas’ father and grandfather were also named William. Jessie Cream Fettes, born 1824, was the daughter of Lawrencekirk’s Dr. James Fettes and Euphemia Cream. William Sr. and Jessie had 12 children, of whom one immigrated to Canada, some immigrated to New Zealand, and the others remained in Scotland. William and Jessie farmed a holding of 462 acres, with several employees, which they had inherited from William’s father. The farm was known as the “Bent” and remained in the Alexander family until 1930, when William’s brother, Jim, sold it and retired to Montrose.

William left Scotland at the age of 18, bound for New York, later moving to Canada, drawn by the gold rush. He became involved in the Riel Rebellion as the driver of a Red River cart and eventually made his way to Edmonton after the Rebellion ended. From there he went to Rossland, British Columbia, where he married Emilie Dannhauer in 1896. She had been born in 1873 in Pembroke, Ontario, the daughter of Paul Dannhauer and Caroline Gutzmann. Her family had journeyed west to the Stony Plain area in 1892.

The couple later returned to the Edmonton area where William worked in a lumbermill. They had 5 surviving children: William Paul (born 1897 in Rossland, BC), Charles Edward (born 1899 in Inga, Alberta), Frederick Arthur (born 1903 in Inga), Jean Emilie (born 1906 in Inga), and Maggie Helen (born 1908 in Strathcona).

In 1910, William walked to the Peace Country in search of land. The rest of the family followed in the spring of 1911 with a caboose and sleighs pulled by ox teams over the Long Trail. William filed on homestead land west of the town of Rycroft (portion of NE 5 and SE 8 78-5 W6th) in 1911 and obtained an additional half-section using South African scrip (NW 4 and SW 9 78-5 W6th), gaining the patent to the land in April 1916. A large two-story home was built, which was later used as a hospital during the 1918 influenza epidemic. William Alexander was also one of Rycroft’s first reeves, serving on council 1918-1919.

On August 10, 1916, Emilie Alexander died of Bright’s Disease and the rest of the family dispersed shortly thereafter. William Jr. and Edward enlisted for service in the First World War, Arthur moved to Edmonton to take classes, and Jean and Maggie were sent to Edmonton to live with relatives, where they remained for the next five years.

William Sr. sold the farm in 1918 and in 1919 moved to Bear Flats, beyond Fort St. John, where he invested in Aberdeen Angus cattle. Unfortunately, the onset of a depression made the venture unprofitable. From there William Sr. and Edward went to Fort Fitzgerald and Fort Smith, where William was killed in a logging accident on June 6, 1928.

Bill Jr. farmed at Rycroft after the war then moved to Appleton in 1935 to assist his sister, Jean, by then a widow. He married Ida Walker there. William died in 1966 and is buried next to his mother in the Rycroft cemetery.

Edward married Kae Eggen from Edmonton in 1930. He lived in several mining communities in western and northern Canada, finally settling in Fort Saskatchewan due to ill health. Edward and Kae had two sons, William and Arthur. Edward died in 1973 and is buried in Evergreen Memorial Gardens, Fort Saskatchewan.

Arthur was a bookkeeper and store manager in Hudson’s Hope and married Violet Neilson from Fort St. John in June 1918. They had a son, also named Arthur. Arthur Sr. died in 1938 and is buried in the Rycroft cemetery next to his mother.

Jean moved to Grande Prairie to finish High School and then to Victoria to attend Normal school in 1924. She taught in Rycroft from 1925 until 1928. Jean married Herbert O’Brien and the couple had three daughters, Margaret, Alice Jean, and Erin. Herb passed away in 1935, leaving Jean a young widow. She taught at Appleton until 1942, when she moved to Grande Prairie. She then continued her career at Montrose School and the Grande Prairie Composite High School until retiring in 1975. Jean was also very involved in the Grande Prairie music festival and served as church organist for the United Church for many years. She died in 2001 and is buried in the Grande Prairie Cemetery.

Maggie married Emil Baron from Stony Plain in 1931 and the couple had three children: Douglas, Jean, and Gurth. Maggie was employed as a secretary-bookkeeper in Edmonton and at the town office in Fort Saskatchewan. She died in 1995.

Alfrey (family)

  • paa
  • Family

Darwin (Dar) E. Alfrey was born in Didsbury, Alberta on September 2, 1931 to a farming couple in the Carstairs, Alberta area. Growing up, he worked at a men's clothing store, delivered groceries, played AA baseball and worked for the railroad as a telegraph operator near Lake Louise, Alberta. He eventually found a career with the Bank of Montreal, and was transferred around the province for this position. During 1955, he was transferred to Westlock, Alberta where he met his future wife. Rita J. Peterson was born on May 5, 1933 in Wetaskiwin, Alberta to the manager of the local Coop store and a homemaker. She worked at Deer Lodge in the summer before finishing High School. After high school she attended the Royal Alexander School of Nursing, graduating in 1955. During her work at the Immaculata Hospital in Westlock, she met Dar. The pair married on June 1, 1957 and moved to Bow Island, Alberta. Rita carried on with nursing and Dar with banking. They were soon transferred to Calgary, Alberta where their son, Dwight, was born in 1959. They were transferred to Regina, Saskatchewan in 1962, where their daughter Chris was born on August 27. Soon after, they were transferred again to Sioux Lookout, Ontario and then to Port Arthur, Ontario (now part of Thunder Bay). In 1966, they were transferred back to Edmonton, Alberta where they remained. Dar stayed in banking, working with the Bank of Montreal, the Principal Trust Company and ending his career with the Alberta Treasury Branches. He served on the executive of the Steele Heights Community League and on the executive of the Northeast Rotary Club in Edmonton for many years including work with Rotary International. He served as District Governor (District 536) in 1995-1996. Rita returned to nursing at the Royal Alexander Hospital in Edmonton, which by this time had become the Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital. Rita took on various roles in the community, serving on the Parents' Advisory Board for different schools, the Boards of the Edmonton YWCA and Rotary Anns, and was part of the founding group for McClure United Church. She was a creative person, spending her free time sewing, quilting, knitting, doing petit point, singing in the McClure choir, rug hooking, and many other creative pastimes. Rita and Dar enjoyed doing many things together including curling, dancing, meeting with their friends, cross country skiing and camping. Camping holidays were standard during the years Chris and Dwight were in school, and they spent time in the mountains. Dar Alfrey died on February 5, 2004.

Allen, A. W. G. (family)

  • RED
  • Family

Archibald W. G. Allen, b. 1873, was born in Portsmouth, England. He became an accountant. In 1897 he married Kate Minkinnick. They had four children, Marjorie, Blake, Grace, and George. The family emigrated to Red Deer, N.W.T. in 1904, and Archibald established an accounting business. He moved his family to a farm near Pine Lake, Alberta while he served in France during the First World War. In 1920 he accepted employment with the City Assessor's office in Calgary, while Blake managed and eventually took over the farm. In the 1930s Archibald and Kate were engaged in fruit farming in the Okanagan Valley of British Columbia. Blake married Edith Pierce

Anahareo family

  • glen-3806
  • Family
  • 1906-1986

Anahareo, 1906-1986, was born Gertrude Bernard to an Iroquois family in Mattawa, Ontario. In the mid-1920s she married Grey Owl (Archibald Belaney), 1888-1938. She encouraged her husband to abandon trapping and to engage in the conservation efforts that later made him famous. They had two daughters, Shirley Dawn (McKay, later Bruce, later Richardson), 1932-1984, and Anne (Gaskell), 1937- . Dawn devoted much of her life to promoting the ideas and reputation of her father. Anahareo and Grey Owl separated in 1936 and in 1939 she married Count Eric Axel Moltke-Huitfeldt, 1906-1963, a member of a Swedish noble family who lived in Saskatchewan and later Alberta. They had a daughter Katherine (Swartile), 1941- . In 1972 Anahareo wrote the best-seller, Devil in Deerskins : My Life With Grey Owl and she was awarded the Order of Canada in 1983. In 1954 Dawn married La Verne McKay, 1916-1981, and they had two children, Sandra Deane McKay (Woodcock) and Glaze Stansfield McKay. She later married Arthur Bruce. In 1979 she married Bob Richardson, 1927-2007. Dawn's novel, Smoke, was published posthumously (Manotick : Penumbra, 2004). Bob wrote a memoir of their life together entitled A Face Beside the Fire. In 1988 the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada designated Anahareo's cabin at Prince Albert National Park as a National Historic Site. For further information see Anahareo : A Wilderness Spirit / Kristin Gleeson. -- Tucson: Fireship Press, 2012.

Results 1 to 10 of 559