Affichage de 2583 résultats


Athabasca School Division No 42

  • ASD No 42, 20.06
  • Collectivité
  • 1938 - 1959

The Athabasca School Division No. 42 was established by an Order in Council October 22, 1938. It contained five subdivisions and organizational meetings were held in each subdivision in November in the following centres: Subdivision 1 Meanook, Subdivision 2 Athabasca, Subdivision 3 Boyle, Subdivision 4 Plamondon, and Subdivision 5 Craigend. Eric A. Gilders was appointed temporary secretary. ASD No. 42 operated until 1959 when the County of Athabasca No. 12 was formed by combining the Municipal District of Athabasca No. 103 and the Athabasca School Division No. 42. At this time, there were no longer one-room schools in operation, only centralized schools. The first organizational meeting of the board was held on December 21, 1938. The old school districts were officially absorbed as of January 3, 1939 when an Act of Parliament turned over all liabilities and assets of the districts to the School Division.

The original school division contained the following 86 school districts: Keyes 1882, Tawatinaw 2473, Lahaiville 2637, Parkhurst 2645, Plamondon 2696, Dover 2725, South Athabasca 2768, Plum Lake 2815, Toles 2895, Atlanta 2909, Fairhaven 3044, Cash Creek 3045, Lewiston 3093, Meanook 3105, Flat Creek 3106, West Athabasca 3110, Fork Lake 3155, Rodgers Chapter 3159, Colinton 3169, Forest 3171, Dokeville 3173, McArthur 3266, Silver Fox 3273, Willow Ridge 3292, Bouvier 3308, East Park 3349, Ste. Cecile 3377, Irene 3405, Youngville 3621, Baptiste Lake 3651, Grosmont 3639, George Lake 3820, Lee Heights 3821, Greyville 3836, Mangin 3935, Berney 3937, Quebec 3989, Sarrail 4001, Grandin 4066, Big Beaver 4067, Craigend 4088, Granville 4091, Trieste (Hylo) 4101, Venice 4102, Forfar 4105, Forest Grove 4209, Charron 4224, Vincent 4255, Richmond Park 4280, Rich Lake 4329, Monticello 4374, Perryvale 4390, Hammond 4398, New Pine Creek 4473, Big Coulee 4497, Hallcroft 4508, Larvert 4521, Owl River 4526, Rocky Island 4536, Winding Trail 4549, Narrow Lake 4546, Blueberry Ridge 4562, Black Loam 4565, Green Pine 4568, Ferguson 4573, Deer Run 4597, Gamefield 4597, Spruce Park 4618, Cristy Lake 4621, Helina 4629, Spruce Valley 4652.

Several other districts, formed after 19439 were subsequently added to the division. They were: Blue Jay 4658, Willow Flat 4668, Noral 4692, Laura 4722, Gourin 4755, White Clover 4777, Caslan 4780, South Noral 4781, Birch Grover 4808, Dionne 4813, Nelson 4814, Big Bay 4817, Caribou Range 4836, Mercury 4849, Sun Ray 4868, Cumley 4891, Lawrence Lake 4909, Cloverview 4919, Deep Coulee 4959, Ellscott 4960, Locher 4975, Old Trail 4853 and *Twin Spruce 4864.

In 1944 Lac La Biche School Division No. 51 was formed resulting in the transfer of 36 districts (*) in the list.

Alice B. Donahue Library and Archives

  • ATH
  • Collectivité
  • 1946-

In 1946, Eric Hodgson held a meeting of representatives of different community organizations to discuss establishing a library in Athabasca. A committee was struck and met in June 1946 to nominate a library board. The library was known as the Athabasca and District Public Library from 1946 to 1966, the Athabasca Municipal Library from 1966 to 1980, and the Athabasca Municipal Library and Archives from 1980 until it adopted its current name in 1988. The library was located in the Town Hall, the Community Centre, and the former Provincial Building until it moved to the Brick School Complex in 1979. The archival program began as early as 1957 when the library stored historic documents until a historical society could be formed. In 1979 a separate room was designated, and volunteers organized and solicited material for a history book published in 1986. The first part-time archivist was hired in 1988.

International Order of Odd Fellows, Lodge 88

  • ATH 85.271_273
  • Collectivité
  • 1912 - [ca. 1925]

The Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF) is a non-political and non-sectarian international fraternal order of Odd Fellowship. It was founded in 1819 by Thomas Wildey in Baltimore, Maryland, United States. Evolving from the Order of Odd Fellows founded in England during the 1700s, the IOOF was originally chartered by the Independent Order of Oddfellows Manchester Unity in England but has operated as an independent organization since 1842, although it maintains an inter-fraternal relationship with the English Order. The order is also known as the Triple Link Fraternity, referring to the order's "Triple Links" symbol, alluding to its motto "Friendship, Love and Truth".

While several unofficial Odd Fellows lodges had existed in New York City circa 1806-1818, because of its charter relationship, the American Odd Fellows is regarded as being founded with Washington Lodge No 1 in Baltimore at the Seven Stars Tavern on April 26, 1819, by Thomas Wildey along with some associates[5] who assembled in response to an advertisement in the New Republic. The following year, the lodge affiliated with the Independent Order of Oddfellows Manchester Unity and was granted the authority to institute new lodges. Previously, Wildey had joined the Grand United Order of Oddfellows (1798-) in 1804 but followed through with the split of Independent Order of Oddfellows Manchester Unity (1810-) before immigrating to the United States in 1817.

In 1842, after an elementary dispute on authority, the American Lodges formed a governing system separate from the English Order, and in 1843 assumed the name Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

The Independent Order of Odd Fellows became the first fraternity in the United States to include both men and women when it adopted the "Beautiful Rebekah Degree" on September 20, 1851, by initiative of Schuyler Colfax, later Vice-President of the United States.

Beyond fraternal and recreational activities, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows promotes the ethic of reciprocity and charity, by implied inspiration of Judeo-Christian ethics. The largest Sovereign Grand Lodge of all fraternal orders of Odd Fellows since the 19th century, it enrolls some 600,000 members divided in approximately 10,000 lodges in 26 countries, inter-fraternally recognised by the second largest, the British-seated Independent Order of Oddfellows Manchester Unity.

From Wikipedia: International Order of Odd Fellows, November 15, 2018

Athabasca Clay Products Ltd.

  • Collectivité
  • 1964 - 1968

Athabasca Clay Products was a business that operated in Athabasca, Alberta from 1964 - 1968. All items were made from local red clay. Pottery was distributed from numerous gift shops in British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan, including one on Jasper Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta.

Athabasca Farmers Market

  • ATH AFM 2019
  • Collectivité
  • 1978 - present

A weekly and/or seasonal Athabasca and area Farmers Market was researched in January 1978 and this included a local survey of interest and attendance at an Alberta Agriculture Farmers’ Market seminar in Edmonton. The first Farmers Market was organized by volunteers just prior to Christmas, 1978 and was held in the basement of the Athabasca Community Centre. It may also have been held at the Athabasca Arena at various times during the day on Fridays. It was sponsored by the Athabasca Agricultural Society and one of the early managers was Theresa Keith. Early promotional efforts included cake decorating contests, door prizes and the mention of new visitors in a regular column published the Athabasca Advocate newspaper. Early members include Staffie Rypien, Grace Stychin, Mildred Haggith, Shirley Berezowski, Lilo Sanftl, Pennie Hunter, Otto Christensen, Lorraine Schultz, Joy Richards, Pat Williamson, Dorothy McCue, Maria Muller, Maureen Weymouth, Gwen Wolstenholme, Loreen Dagley, Liz Lamoureux, Mary Bart, Mary Schmidt, Mr. and Mrs. Stellmaker, and a BC fruit producer from Westlock. Annual membership was $10.00. Board positions were president, vice president, secretary and treasurer. All vendors set their own prices and a percentage of sales was given to the Market. Items for sale included fresh baking, farm fresh eggs, hand-made clothing, frozen foods, household items, seasonal bedding plants and crafts.
In 1984, the Farmers Market moved to a retail location on the main floor of Dr. Wright’s building at 4902 – 49 Street, Athabasca and was open six days a week from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm. The store was staffed by volunteers. The store location closed on December 19, 2001 due to a number of factors including volunteer burn out and changes in health regulations which made it more difficult to operate in the same way; specifically, food items that were baked in home kitchens and not on site. The Farmers Market Board donated the remaining $4,000.00 in their bank account to the Athabasca Health Care Centre Ladies Auxiliary.
The Athabasca Farmers Market has always operated with the designation of “Alberta Approved Farmers Market.” This means that 80% of good sold are produced in Alberta. It was billed as the only full-time, year-round farmers’ market in Alberta during the years it was located in Dr. Wright’s building.
There was no Farmers Market in Athabasca between the years 2001 and 2004. It was then brought back under the sponsorship of the Athabasca District Chamber of Commerce and again held weekly/seasonally in the basement of the Community Centre. Due to scheduling difficulties at the Community Centre, the Farmers Market was moved to the basement of the Royal Canadian Legion #103 in 2006.
In 2011, a new organization, the North Country Community Council, sponsored the Farmers Market and it is now held every second Saturday from October to May at the Athabasca Regional Multiplex. During the spring and summer months, it is held weekly on the Athabasca riverfront. The Town of Athabasca donated a one-time start up grant of $2,500 in 2012. During the months of January through November, the market has between 25 – 30 tables and peaks with as many as 65 tables in the month before Christmas. The Farmers Market executive has made donations to the Good Samaritan Food Bank and the Athabasca Santas Anonymous annual campaign.

Magnificent River Rats Festival Society

  • Collectivité
  • 1997 - Present

The Magnificent River Rats Festival Society (MRRFS) was formed in 1997 in Athabasca, Alberta. It grew from Canada Day celebrations, starting in 1987, that featured canoe races from Smith to Athabasca on the Athabasca River, and finished with a bonfire, local entertainment and fireworks. Canoeists paid an entry fee and were also sponsored to raise money for various local charitable groups. Local groups who organized the annual event included the Rotary Club and the Athabasca Chamber of Commerce. Supporters included the Athabasca Metis Association and Blue Heron Enterprises. The MRRFS was formed to formalize the annual event and take advantage of grant opportunities available to a not-for-profit society. They obtained Canada Revenue Agency charitable status in 2005 and received grants from the Alberta Foundation of the Arts, among others. The annual event grew in size through the years, expanding from a one-day event to, at times, two- or three-day events with children’s’ activities, food vendors and nationally-recognized entertainers.

Athabasca Skating Club

  • Collectivité
  • 1988 - Present

The first mention of an Athabasca figure skating club is a photograph of the February 1973 Krystal Karnival. The club president was Evelyn Begoray and the professional coach was Anne Spencer. The Athabasca Arena opened in February 1972 and closed in 2008 when the Athabasca Regional Multiplex was opened. The ASC continues to operate and is an entity of Skate Canada. Related photographs: 16133-16193.

Athabasca Landing Pool

  • ATHA Landing Pool
  • Collectivité
  • 1980 - 2019

Athabasca Landing Pool was opened on April 1, 1980. the founding broad members were Neil Selinger, Philip Brown, Les Wood, Jack Dixon, and John Shannon.

Athabasca Youth Talent Explosion

  • Ath 05.16
  • Collectivité
  • 1997 - 2003

Mrs. Evelyn McDonald and Mary Olson chaired the Athabasca Youth Talent Explosion committee, a subsidiary of Edmonton’s Klondike Days Exposition, where successful acts would be featured at Edmonton’s Klondike Days Exposition. Evelyn and Mary coordinated the local event, soliciting donations and participants, booked the event and created print materials.

Athabasca Ukrainian Pioneer Celebration Committee

  • Ath 17.16
  • Collectivité
  • 1990 - 1996

The first meeting to plan the Ukrainian Pioneer Centennial Celebration (1981 - 1991) for the Athabasca area was held in the basement of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Athabasca on October 11, 1990. Those present were: Bill Chrusch, Walter Yowney, Annie Yowney, Dr. Peter Styblyk, Nick Evasiuk, Myron Husak, Adele Husak, Pearl Siminik, Nick Demko, Margaret Demko, Alex Krawec, Helen Krawec, Lionel Cherniwchen and Slawko Barody. The first organizational meeting minutes include the note that a special cairn commemorating the centennial would be erected somewhere on the Athabasca riverfront.

Résultats 1 à 10 sur 2583